RE: RARA-AVIS: Re: Those were the days (was Creationism vs. Evolution (was Once more...)

From: eddie hermanson ( ehermanson@hotmail.com)
Date: 06 Sep 2000

okay i need to jump in here. if we are going to write fiction with any sincerity to the language of the street we need not be afraid to use harsh language. what, are we going to lie about how folks communicate with one another? you cite ellroy's language as being offensive. is the use of the words nigger or spick offensive to you?? i am a white dude and every time i walk down to the liquor store the local youth greets me with "wassup nigger? you drinkin' a 40 tonight?" is it offensive when donald goines uses the word nigger? language changes, meanings change. what i find offensive is charles willeford, for example. in pick up and wild wives all the women are neurotic, drug/alchohol addled whores who are un able to take care of themselves. they need some man to take care of them. and whats up with shark infested custard? betting on who can get the chick, all that. i find that offensive. not the language but the ideas. i had an idea in my head but lost the train of thought. i shouldn't be so harsh on chas willeford...i guess he's writing it as he sees it..