Re: RARA-AVIS: A.S. Fleischman

From: Juri Nummelin ( jurnum@utu.fi)
Date: 05 Sep 2000

On Mon, 4 Sep 2000, Martha Fischer wrote:

> can juri or anyone else provide more information on this author? how many
> novels did he write? are the others any good? juri's blurb is intriguing...

I know nothing else than that Fleischman wrote some ten novels, mainly for Fawcett, in the fifties and early sixties. Some western novels, too, I presume, since Sam Peckinpah's first film (forgot the name) is based on his novel and is written by him. Fleischman wrote dozen-or-so films in the fifties and sixties, but excluding Peckinpah's film (is it "Ride the High Country"?) nothing very well known. I've read "Look Behind You, Lady" (1952) by him, it was equally good as "The Shanghai Flame", a noir-style spy story set in Macao.

Juri