Re: RARA-AVIS: A.S. Fleischman

From: Bill Crider ( abc@wt.net)
Date: 04 Sep 2000

A. S. Fleischman is a great writer, though maybe not because of his Gold Medal original. They're not bad, however. (I have to admit to a great fondness for one of his titles: THE VENETIAN BLONDE. I like another one because of the cover; it's the novelization of BLOOD ALLEY, with John Wayne on the cover.) Fleischman is still around, and still writing, but he writes books for kids. (Kids of all ages, I guess, since I like them a lot.) He's won many awards, and some of the books have been made into movies. BULLWHIP GRIFFIN comes to mind. His son, Paul, is also an award-winning writer of children's books.

Bill Crider