Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Creationism vs. Evolution (was Once more...)

From: Jess Nevins ( jjnevins@ix.netcom.com)
Date: 02 Sep 2000

Mark Sullivan wrote:

> This is one of the reasons I'm skeptical of most period hardboiled. It
> looks back nostalgically to an earlier era the author believes was more
> suited to the genre. And in my mind, nostalgia is based upon a
> sentimentality that tends to undercut hardboiled. It adds distance to a
> genre built on immediacy.

Nostalgia, though, includes a certain element of privileging of an era, a viewpoint that the era in question was "the good old days." I just can't see much period hardboiled feeling that the period in question really was all that wonderful.

The writers probably think that the time they write about was better for their purposes, or more interesting in terms of crime writing. But I don't see any nostalgia, as such.

jess