RE: RARA-AVIS: Re: Those were the days (was Creationism vs.Evolution (was Once more...)

From: Anthony Dauer ( anthony.dauer@erols.com)
Date: 02 Sep 2000

Ellroy wouldn't be historically accurate or true to the period if he didn't write the way he does. There's nothing glib about it ... it's called good writing and he'd surely be taken to the wood shed if he pandered to the PC crowd at the expense of history too. The thought police should do a bit more of the former and a lot less of the latter.

--
volente Deo,

Anthony Dauer Alexandria, Virginia
"If you don't leave, I'll get somebody who will." -Raymond Chandler (1888-1959)
Hardboiled http://www.adau.net/judas_ezine/
-----Original Message----- From: Mark Sullivan Sent: Saturday, September 02, 2000 1:04 AM
I agree with this, too. Although some of Chandler/Marlowe's comments bother me, I can understand them in context and set them aside. Chandler was a man of his time. However, Ellroy is also a man of his time and that time is now. He is not a writer of the '50s using those words, but a man of the '90s, choosing to write about the '50s, so he can glibly use those words and dance away whenever he is criticized for it.