RE: RARA-AVIS: Re: Creationism vs. Evolution (was Once more...)

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 01 Sep 2000

Teri sed:

Mark: I liked your post and would be curious what contemporary authors you think are creating (as opposed to re-creating) hard-boiled fiction these days.

Tribe replied:

I wasn't asked, but I'll butt in anyway. Some folks who come to mind are Jack O'Connell, Will Christopher Baer, and James Ellroy, of course.

My turn:

Jack O'Connell would most certainly top my list, also. I don't know Baer. I used to be a big fan of Ellroy's, but I'm less and less thrilled with him. I think he added greatly to the medium with his morally complex characters, but I'm becoming increasingly uncomfortable with his use of certain language and attitudes, then glibly excusing himself with, "They talked/thought like that in those days." Well, who chose to set his book in those days?

Others I think are expanding the field: Joe R. Lansdale, Ken Bruen, Russell James, Nicholas Blincoe (I'm on a bit of a Brit kick lately). And in the not too distant past: Charles Willeford, Edward Bunker, Lawrence Block (at one point) and Derek Raymond.

That said, I must admit I'm still a sucker for straight genre fare: Emerson, Lehane, Block (now), John Shannon, etc.

Mark