Re: RARA-AVIS: Copy Cats (was Once more into the breech...)

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 01 Sep 2000

Brad wrote:

"The way I read this, your theory seems to preclude the possibility of a writer/artist/musician having any ideas of his own. Happy accidents certainly play a part in any art form, but to suggest that any innovative idea is backed into (through their fuck ups) seems to do the artist a great disservice. What about imagination or the desire to stretch boundries? Can't these also play a role?"

Okay, I come up with a nice global theory with a catchy name and you expect it to apply to everything just because I said it did. Be that way.

I could try to cover myself by saying that's just the flip side of what I said, that the artist slowly adds his own personality, but you caught me. Of course, the additions (or wholesale creation) are often very conscious.

Mark