Re: RARA-AVIS: Copy Cats (was Once more into the breech...)

From: Cristoforo ( Cristoforo@mediaone.net)
Date: 01 Sep 2000

> This reminds me of a theory I have, that I call the "Fuck Up Theory of
> Artistic Development." I'm pretty sure I've brought this up here
> before, but it goes like this: Most (all?) writers/artists/musicians
> start off imitating others. Needless to say, they can never perfectly
> replicate their models and their originality is measured as the degree
> to which they get it wrong. Eventually, good artists notice this and
> pursue their own "fuck ups."

The way I read this, your theory seems to preclude the possibility of a writer/artist/musician having any ideas of his own. Happy accidents certainly play a part in any art form, but to suggest that any innovative idea is backed into (through their fuck ups) seems to do the artist a great disservice. What about imagination or the desire to stretch boundries? Can't these also play a role?

Brad