Re: RARA-AVIS: Pelecanos: new one

From: Juri Nummelin ( jurnum@utu.fi)
Date: 23 Aug 2000

On Wed, 23 Aug 2000, Juri Nummelin wrote:

> I had similar feelings when reading "King Suckerman". I also wondered
> why there were so few dramatically important women in the novel.

With this I didn't mean to criticize Pelecanos nor was I saying that he is a homophobic, but I just wondered whethet Pelecanos is actually writing a defense of heterosexual men who have a strong homosocial context? They are the main victims of what's happening in the world Pelecanos is writing about - crime, drugs, ghettocization (a new word?) and so on. He does it pretty well and I like his books, but nevertheless it bothers me that they are actually rewritings of buddy-buddy westerns.

Juri