RE: RARA-AVIS: Pelecanos: new one

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 22 Aug 2000

Anthony wrote:

"Actually, one could argue that using homosexuality as he has is staying within the stereotype of the genre ... not that that makes it right of course. But in fiction just what is right?"

Well, evidently, you believe that liberalism is wrong.

I think you're reading an awful lot into a one paragraph summary of a book's McGuffin.

In addition, Pete quoted GP as:

"It's about this middle age black PI who used to be a cop and he teams up with a cop who was thrown off the force for that."

Somehow, I think their relationship will probably explore the many nuances of this kind of shooting, probably including that many black cops do indeed internalize the police mindset, including certain racial assumptions, as thoroughly as white ones.

Although he sometimes takes shortcuts on side characters, Pelecanos has never taken easy ways out with his main ones. And considering race has been a major theme throughout his work, I doubt he will do it now. Either way, I'm going to wait until I read the book before I judge.

Mark