RE: RARA-AVIS: Pelecanos: new one

From: Words from the Monastery ( anthony.dauer@erols.com)
Date: 22 Aug 2000

No, he's not a racist but he's the worst kind of liarberal scum and prejudice nonetheless. I live in DC and those several shootings included black police officers too not just white ones doing the shooting and they were investigated by black and white officers ... nobody dismissed it out of hand as George P implies. I also find it hard to make "several" out of three incidents in the 10 years of my first hand memory and more when you toss in a friend of mine's who has lived here much longer ... granted maybe there are several within a lifetime here, but that's many decades and I bet there are very few large cities that won't have the same tragedies on their record books as well. George is trivializing a very serious issue as you've written it. White's are a small minority in the city and in the police department. All cases were investigated and while the situation was no less tragic no police officer was found to be at fault for their actions. Even the mother of one of the victims asked everyone to forgive the police officer that accidentally shot her son.

If George P is writing it literally as you said it, he needs to apologize to the citizens of DC, the police department, and his readers for playing so easily with the truth in order to sell a book.

volente Deo,

Anthony Dauer Alexandria, Virginia

"... down these mean streets a man must go
 who is not himself mean, who is neither
 tarnished or afraid."

            --Raymond Chandler (1888-1959)

Hardboiled