Re: RARA-AVIS: Pelecanos: new one

From: Terrill Lankford ( lankford2000@earthlink.net)
Date: 22 Aug 2000

Anthony Dauer wrote:

> That's a shame ... I never would have guessed "Mr. P" was one of those ...
> there's a lot more to the story and it ain't only white cops either ... it
> doesn't have anything to do with anyone being a nigger either, but it has a
> lot to do with becoming jaded by the vast numbers of a particular race
> committing crimes in the DC area.

By "one of those" I take it you are implying that George is a racist, which could not be further from the truth. And when he used the "N" word, he had quotes around it. He was talking about the cops' state of mind which led to these bad shoots, not his own opinion of the black race. He was being critical of the attitude, not the race. (And I'm not sure what motivates your particular usage of the word.)

Either you have terribly misread this statement or I have terribly misread your letter. If it is the latter, I owe you an apology. If it's the former, you owe one to George P.

TL