Re: RARA-AVIS: Back in Time

From: cooper ( jane@almaludo.freeserve.co.uk)
Date: 20 Aug 2000

My first posting to the list was a query whether any truly HB historical fiction existed(as opposed to the Caleb Carrs and books featuring detective monks,Jane Austen etc) Well, maybe it isn't really truly HB, but so far it is pretty nasty, unrelenting and bleak, but I am currently reading FROM HELL by Allan Moore and Eddie Campbell a graphic novel about Jack the ripper(but don't let that put you off on either count) It takes in lots of the conspiracy theories about the murders and lots of other bits of London lore and history. (bits will ring bells for those who have read WHITE CHAPPELL SCARLET TRACINGS by Iain Sinclair and HAWKSMOOR by Peter Ackroyd)
 Campbells artwork is suitably grim and graphic and Moores writing as usual is excellent and can even stand reading without the pictures. I haven't finished it yet but so far, recommended. I've been on something of a comics binge lately and have found loads that many on the list would probably like including ONE HUNDRED BULLETS, TRANSMETROPOLITAN, the PREACHER series,IT'S DARK IN LONDON,the SIN CITY series, MARVELS and the BATMAN books; FACES and THE LONG HALLOWEEN.Maybe when the nights get colder I'll go back to "proper" books. Jane