RARA-AVIS: RE:Chinaman's Chance

From: Dick Lochte ( dlock@ix.netcom.com)
Date: 13 Aug 2000

Of Ross Thomas' Chinaman's Chance --

> - --- Tim Oliver < CSEM@zianet.com> wrote:
> > I thought it rather tiresome. These endless
> > schemes within schemes wear me out.
> >
> > Last week I found Thomas' If You Can't Be Good on
> > sale. I'm really digging it. But it may soon deteriorate into a tiresome
maze
> > as well. Hope not.

This is a pretty interesting reaction to Thomas' work and it may help to explain what is one of the great mysteries IMO -- the fact that he never quite achieved the bestseller status of Leonard. But I'd like a clarification. Are we talking about too much con or too much plot? If the former, it's no big deal, a matter of taste. The possibility of the latter, however, tends to send chills down my spine. Not merely because I like reading complicated plots but because I like writing them.

Dick Lochte