RARA-AVIS: Early Pelecanos

From: Peter Davis ( yourflesh@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 11 Aug 2000

> The order to the quartet is:

Big Blowdown King Suckerman Sweet Forever Shame the Devil

Which is novels five through eight.

These four later titles are a complete thread from start to finish.

His four previous novels in order are:

A Firing Offense (Nick Steffanos series) Nick's Trip (Nick Steffanos) Shoedog (stand alone novel) Down by the River Where the Dead Men Go (Nick Steffanos)

I'm happy to say that I managed to catch them all in order with the exception of Shoedog which was my first and what hooked me!

Just got my mitts on a manuscript copy of his next, "Right as Rain." Its slated for release in February of 2001. For those of you who are interested, here's the synopsis:

" a bold new series featuring an unlikely duo investigating killings by police in the streets of Washington, D.C. [natch!]..."

"...Derek Strange is a black ex-cop in Washington, D.C. who now makes a living running his own private detective agency. He is hired to investigate the killing of an off-duty black policeman by a white police officer--a killing that was supposedly accidental, but that has opened difficult questions about racism on the force. In the course of that investigation the white officer, Terry Quinn, becomes Strange's friend and then his partner. Together they try to uncover what really happened that night when Quinn came upon a confusing and treacherous crime scene. Along the way they confront the kingpins of a flourishing drug trade and some implacable, dead-eyed killers..."

I'll probably have something to say about it all shortly after the weekend.

Peter D. Your Flesh Mag