RARA-AVIS: Uncut (was: RE: Brit Crime Films)

From: ejmd ( ejmd@cwcom.net)
Date: 10 Aug 2000

"cooper" < jane@almaludo.freeserve.co.uk> writ:

> BTW, synchronicity raises its head once more.Brit films being the flavour
de
> jour on RA and in this month's Uncut is an interview/article with two of
the
> Kray's former associates, who give their opinions on a selection of said
> films, both on a critical level and on a first hand one as many of the
> characters and situations were based on the whole Kray thing.

Oh, I'm glad someone mentioned Uncut ... after hearing Shivaree on the mag's cover disc, I pulled some more of their stuff off napster and just had to go out and buy the album the very next day. Not only do they have a kooky-quirky American-gothic kinda thing going (IMO, anyway), but the band's improbably-named singer-songwriter, Ambrosia Parsley, cites the novels of Jim Thompson as something she likes.

BTW, if anyone is interested in pulling something off napster (or macster, for non-pc types) look out for the tracks 'bossa nova' and 'goodnight moon'
... great stuff!

ED