Re: RARA-AVIS: RE: pants and stuff

From: marianne.macdonald@lineone.net
Date: 09 Aug 2000

Between us, Girvan and I have probably just confused the transAtlantic linguistic question. As he points out, "pants" in the sense of trousers or slacks is American; here in England (not to mention Scotland), they are underpants/knickers/panties/whatever.

Kids' slang meaning of "pants" STILL presumably derives from the embarrassing situation of being caught with your nether garments down or missing in public, and therefore being in a very "naff" situation. Personally, I'd rather on balance be caught with ONLY my jeans down in public. That I could probably carry off. Beyond that, it gets silly.

(Oh, wicked of me....)

Marianne