RARA-AVIS: Marvin Albert/ British noir

From: Dick Lochte ( dlock@ix.netcom.com)
Date: 06 Aug 2000

> From: Moorich2@aol.com

> Albert did do some good work in his long career. Crider is off
> on a European
> jaunt or I imagine he would be naming a few for us.

If I can stand-in briefly for the globe-trotting Crider, let me call your attention to the books Marvin Albert wrote under the Anthony Rome pseudonym. The detective, also named Tony Rome, is a Miami-based Marlowe clone who won his houseboat in a poker game three years before Travis McGee won his. I only know of three titles. "Miami Mayhem" introduced the character and was the basis for the Frank Sinatra film, "Tony Rome." "The Lady in Cement" and
"My Kind of Game" follow. All, in my opinion, are worth reading. They're light years more entertaining than the only Pete Sawyer book I tried.

On the British noir movie topic, putting aside the qualities of "The Singing Detective," I don't see how it qualifies as noir, unless there's something in the plot I've forgotten. Isn't it about a private eye novelist so much in pain from psoriasis (sp?) that he fantasizes a satiric singing and dancing detective yarn? I don't consider myself a purist when it comes to the category, but I do think there should be a crime element lurking around somewhere.

One British film that has more than a fair share of noir and crime is "The Krays," Peter Medek's pretty intense biopic of the infamous bad boys.

Dick Lochte