RARA-AVIS: Dan J. Marlowe

From: William Denton ( buff@pobox.com)
Date: 04 Aug 2000

Hi,

I read OPERATION FIREBALL the other day and liked it. It gets a little unbelievable at the end, when Earl Drake and three guys con their way into Guantanamo Bay in Cuba and then break out and head to Havana to steal millions of hidden dollars, but it's a good tough story without any frippery. Is this the first Drake book? He comes off as a cross between Parker and McGee. It's the first one I've read, but I'll look for more.

I started ASSIGNMENT--BANGKOK, by Edward S. Aarons, a Sam Durell book, but dropped it halfway through. It's a Fawcett Gold Medal, like the Marlowe book, and Aarons has had good reviews on the list. Is this just a bum one?

Bill