Re: RARA-AVIS: Recent reads

From: Juri Nummelin ( jurnum@utu.fi)
Date: 03 Aug 2000

On Wed, 2 Aug 2000, Mark Sullivan wrote:

> I've seen some praise for Marvin Albert on the list, so I finally dug
> out the original paperback Stone Angel which I've had for a long, long
> time. I was a bit disappointed. Pierre Ange seemed to be an all too
> convenient, and without any real conflict or uncertainty, amalgam of
> French and American traits, making him more a collection of quirks than
> a real character. The plot also seemed to float back and forth between
> a PI novel and a thriller about terrorism. Do the later books in the
> series improve? Or is Albert's rep built on his earlier books before
> this series?

I agree with you on this (even though you don't seem to say what book you were reading). Marvin Lachman claims that the Stone Angel books are the best Albert has ever written, but to my mind they are only better-than-mediocre. But the older ones I've read from Albert have also been just that. Maybe he had such a long career (over fourty decades!) that people want to remember him for that.

Juri jurnum@utu.fi