RARA-AVIS: Pelecanos vs. Potty Water

From: Peter Davis ( yourflesh@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 30 Jun 2000

The reissue of Bezzerides' "Theives Market" on U of C Press was reviewed by GPP hisownself in a past issue of Your Flesh which as most of you know I edit and publish along with my girlfriend (write me off list for back issue availability) .

Hard to pick a real favorite amongst Pelecanos' canon though it'd be fair to say both Nick's Trip and The Big Blowdown are probably his most accomplished works to date, Shoedog should have been a movie already, and if Puffy Combs has his way (and provided it ever happens) he will ruin King Suckerman.

Pelecanos is a truly gifted storyteller. Just about any one whose had the opportunity to discover him (detracors alike) find his work possesses a an ear for authentic dialogue, an eye for detail, a great sense of time and place, and above all else, a huge heart full of humanity. Opinions are one thing (and we're all entitled to them), but reducing a clearly gifted and entertaining author's work as nothing more than "potty water" without qualification(s) is petty juvenalia. So you don't like him or Lehane? Fine. Simplify and move on please...

Like that, Peter D.