Re: RARA-AVIS: A.I. Bezzerides

From: Lee Nowlin ( noirophile@tcainternet.com)
Date: 29 Jun 2000

Still on the subject of Bezzerides, I forgot to mention that Thieves' Market is in-print in paperback from the U of California Press. From the back cover:

"Bezzerides creates an exciting, suspenseful and sometimes brutally grim picture of the truckers and wholesalers who worked in the California produce industry during the 1930s and 1940s. He evokes an entire culture of farmers, mechanics, roadside waitresses, prostitutes, and low-level racketeers. Most of all, he vividly portrays the bitter struggles of first or second generation Americans who try to escape their wage-earning status, only to encounter frustration, violence, or death."

The above could apply at least equally well to Dassin's film, with a screenplay, as I also forgot to mention, by Bezzerides himself. Well worth seeing if you get the chance!

Lee