Re: RARA-AVIS: re: Pelecanos quote

From: Mario Taboada ( matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Date: 29 Jun 2000

<<Funny how one thing leads to another...>>

In his fascinating memoirs, genius film-maker Luis Bu񵥬 asserts that he absolutely does not believe in coincidences. Perhaps great art is born out of tying together stuff in strange ways, as if it really were related. By force of will, it *becomes* related. Willeford did this brilliantly, and so did Henry Roth, whose published work I am about to finish reading (and what a strange trip!).

It may well be that these guys are in more direct contact with their unconscious than the average writer, which would explain their "weird but logical" art.

For the record, I am starting to feel like Bu񵥬 about coincidences...

Regards,

MrT