RARA-AVIS: The Blue Hour

From: Sinclair, Jim ( SinJim@topnz.ac.nz)
Date: 18 Jun 2000

A plug for T Jefferson Parker - this is a winner, West Coast elegaic HB - unputdownable, recommended. Read it back to back with Clark Howard's "City Blood" which is more visceral but no worse, only different. Two HB writers who deliver IMHO. Now on to A.W. Gray who also packs a mean punch. North, South, West, Now East.. Later, Jim S.

-----Original Message----- From: owner-rara-avis@icomm.ca [mailto: owner-rara-avis@icomm.ca] Sent: Sunday, 18 June 2000 20:01 To: rara-avis-digest@icomm.ca Subject: RARA-AVIS Digest V3 #303

RARA-AVIS Digest Sunday, June 18 2000 Volume 03 : Number 303

In this issue:

   RARA-AVIS: Books and babies
   RARA-AVIS: The next Elmore Leonard -- accroding to Library Journal

_

Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 07:52:46 EDT From: Moorich2@aol.com Subject: RARA-AVIS: Books and babies

Congrats on the new baby, Paul. I will definitely look for your books when I get back to Europe later this month. NOIR FICTION: DARK HIGHWAYS sounds especially interesting to me as you included one of my all-time favs, Gerald

Kersh. Collecting Kersh is a challenge for an American as so much only appeared in the UK and so many short stories are uncollected. He is worth the effort. Another writer you mentioned, John Franklin Bardin, I remembered being wowed by years ago. Novels that drift into the surreal and explore insanity have a special fascination for me. (Yes, I know this will prompt knowing smiles and nods from friends sitting in the peanut gallery)
- --

Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 11:59:59 -0400 From: "Frederick Zackel" < fzackel@wcnet.org> Subject: RARA-AVIS: The next Elmore Leonard -- accroding to Library Journal

LEONARD, Elmore. Pagan Babies. Delacorte. Sept. 2000. 224p. ISBN 0-385-33392-7. $24.95. abridged. BDD Audio. ISBN 0-553-52751-7. $25.95. abridged. BDD Audio. ISBN 0-553-71228-4. $29.95. This novel opens with a tragedy -- Hutus storm a church and kill everyone but priest Terry Dunn, saying his first mass -- and then segues (rather incongruously, it seems) into what publicity calls "Leonard's funniest straight-faced novel to date." At home in Detroit to raise funds for Rwanda's orphans, Terry meets tough stand-up comic Debbie Dewey, on the lookout for a guy who conned her out of some big dough. Soon they're in cahoots, and Debbie learns that there is more to Terry than meets the eye.

- --