RARA-AVIS: Re: Warren Murphy

From: Kevin Burton Smith ( kvnsmith@colba.net)
Date: 13 Jun 2000

Dick write:

And Bill wrote:

>Maybe Digger and Trace aren't hardboiled enough for the list. Both Digger
>and Trace are pretty much the same guy, and I think the books in both
>series (or maybe it's the same series) are very funny.

Hard-boiled, schmard-boiled. They are indeed a hoot, wherever they fall on the Raravometer. Whaddya mean, though, Bill, they're pretty much the same guy? They ARE the same guy.

It always bugged me that the Digger/Trace books just faded away, and a few years later Evanovich and Coben scored big with the same sort of humour/detection/medium-boiled approach. Maybe Warren should have Trace dust off the gold frog microphone, get the vodka out of the freezer, and take another whack at it, just for fun.

Kevin Burton Smith The Thrilling Detective Web Site http://www.colba.net/~kvnsmith/thrillingdetective/

An A&E Mystery.com Site of the Week, but don't let that discourage you.