Re: RARA-AVIS: RE: Altman's Long Goodbye

From: Mario Taboada ( matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Date: 12 Jun 2000

I agree with Dick Lochte that the satire is bothersome to the hardcore Chandler fan: that is not how I see Chandler's Marlowe. On the other hand, taken by itself, and forgetting that there's a novel behind it (or under it, to be more precise), the film works. Altman creates a fantastic atmosphere, but it's a contemporary (seventies) atmosphere, not a classic noir thing. It's not a mystery or even much of a thriller. It's hard to explain what's good about it except that one must see it. I guess now I'll have to see the film again!

Next, thing, someone will be saying that The Conversation is weak, and another idol will fall. This one I saw recently and seemed as terrific as ever. Don't send the revisionist police after me: I'm an upright citizen.

Regards,

mt