Re: RARA-AVIS: To be or not to be pulp

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 08 Jun 2000

Categorization is a strange thing, I completely understand how writers might find it stifling, trying to stay within specific marketing categories. And I value a number of authors, like Willeford, who don't really fit within those boundaries. However, as a consumer, I employ those marketing concepts. I go straight to the mystery section in book stores and search for particular sub-genres on those shelves.

It also strikes me as a bit strange that the introduction to Pure Pulp
(judging by Juri's quotes), a book devoted to a very specific slice of the pulps, tries to render the term "pulp" so inclusive as to make it absolutely meaningless.

Mark