Re: Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Nits Picked While You Wait....

From: jjnevins@ix.netcom.com
Date: 08 Jun 2000

rara-avis@icomm.ca wrote:
> James Rogers wrote:

> Maybe this discussion leads us nowhere. I was only asking "why pulp
> fiction is suddenly defined so broadly?"

Because that's the way language works. Some or many terms with specific definitions, like "pulp" or "tragedy" or "romance," enter the language meaning something specific. Through common usage they become degraded (linguistically speaking) and are applied to things that they don't (strictly speaking) apply to. People continue to use the terms erroneously, and eventually the definitions of the terms alter so that they common usage is accurate. That's what's happening with "pulp," I think, and I don't believe it's a sudden occurrence. I think it's been years in the making, and we're only recognizing it now.

jess