Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Nits Picked While You Wait....

From: Jess Nevins ( jjnevins@ix.netcom.com)
Date: 08 Jun 2000

Juri Nummelin wrote:

> Ray Skirsky wrote:
>
> > I have some 1890s Strand magazines, and they look like pulps, but the paper
> > was slick. The
> > type of fiction in them is more akin to American pulps than to American
> > slicks.
>
> Well, this poses quite a problem: in 1890s there were no pulps, so how can one say
> that the type of fiction in Strand magazines was akin to pulp. I know that Argosy
> started in 1896, but was it real pulp at the time? I don't think so. Maybe you're
> thinking dime novel fiction, which certainly was a forerunner to much of the pulp
> fiction.

Strictly speaking dime novels were published in America; penny dreadfuls/ penny bloods were published in the U.K. If we're going to split semantical hairs about what pulps are, we should be equally strict about other genres' terminology. :-)

> > If you don't consider
> > Sherlock Holmes pulp, then what about Prof. Challenger?
>
> I don't know such character.

The lead in A. Conan Doyle's THE LOST WORLD.

jess Pulp and Adventure Heroes of the Pre-War Years http://www.geocities.com/jjnevins/pulpsintro.html