RARA-AVIS: Motherless Brooklyn

From: Andres Kabel ( kabel@bigpond.net.au)
Date: 06 Jun 2000

Someone asked about MOTHERLESS BROOKLYN by Jonathan Lethem. An instant classic, I say. A private eye in Brooklyn with Tourette's syndrome, a great plot, oodles of style, wonderful characterisation. It's one of the better mystery novels I've read this year. The book is being marketed as literary fiction but it reads to me like mystery fiction. Lethem is a wonderfully adventurous author. His first was GUN WITH OCCASIONAL MUSIC, an SF-mystery crossover that really crackled. His next two were more SF in the Vonnegut style. After MOTHERLESS BROOKLYN, I hope he sticks to mysteries.

Andres Kabel