Re: RARA-AVIS: Readings List Reminder

From: Mark Blumenthal ( blumenidiot@21stcentury.net)
Date: 06 Jun 2000

: Ray Skirsky:

> Where does one draw the line on hard-boiled? Are Lawrence Block's Matthew
> Scudder
> novels? How about James Lee Burke? Bill Pronzini? I'm a newbie on the
> list and trying to
> find the parameters.

Ray, This is a frequent topic of discussion. When I had just joined the list I sent a list of ten books asking which of them were hard boiled. There were two replies. One said only three of the books were hard boiled. The other said those three were the only ones that were not hard boiled! It seems there is no universal agreement on where you draw the line. Mark.