Re: RARA-AVIS: Readings List Reminder

From: Ray Skirsky ( rskirsky@qualcomm.com)
Date: 06 Jun 2000

At 12:25 PM 6/5/00 -0400, you wrote:
>On 5 June 2000, Reminder Cron wrote:
>
>: 01 Jun 2000 - DRAWING DEAD, Pete Hautman
>
>I finally found a copy of this yesterday, and started it after THE OUTFIT
>(which I liked a lot). The blurbs call it a "rollicking crime caper" and
>"a romp," and Hautman is called "one of the most outrageously entertaining
>crime writers of our time." So far it seems more like a Carl Hiaasen
>book, which isn't bad, but which isn't really hardboiled. Who was it that
>suggested this? Perhaps they could comment.

Where does one draw the line on hard-boiled? Are Lawrence Block's Matthew Scudder novels? How about James Lee Burke? Bill Pronzini? I'm a newbie on the list and trying to find the parameters.

In regards to the recent Parker thread, does anyone else remember an old series character named Earl Drake? I think the author's name is Dan Marlowe. The first two (The Name of the Game is Death & One Endless Hour) were pretty good first-person crime novels. After that they petered out into standard espionage fare, although I think one of the later novels
(Operation Flashpoint) won an Edgar. But to me, the espionage novels were just more water over the same teabag.

Ray