RARA-AVIS: Nits Picked While You Wait....

From: Kevin Burton Smith ( kvnsmith@colba.net)
Date: 06 Jun 2000

>In Tarantino's vocabulary I understand the word as anything that is
>trashy and violent. But that's not the original pulp fiction.

It isn't?

I don't know, I always thought of pulp fiction as just a certain kind of writing, not limited by however it was actually bound. Does that mean the individual stories the comprised RED HARVEST are pulp fiction, but the collected novel RED HARVEST, published in hardcover, isn't? Or that a John D. MacDonald story published in Black Mask is pulp fiction, but one printed in Manhunt isn't? Or that the early,
"cannibalized" Chandler novels are pulp fiction, but the later ones aren't?

I mean, you say pulp fiction, you just think of a certain type of writing, that bears similarities to the early pulp mags. That's all.

Then again, what do I know. I just wanna be a paperback writer....

But speaking of Tarantino, I forgot to mention that he wrote the liner notes for the Johnny Cash collection, MURDER, that I was blathering about last week. He has some interesting things to say about the common ground between gangsta rap and Johnny Cash that are worth the price of admission alone.

Kevin Burton Smith The Thrilling Detective Web Site http://www.colba.net/~kvnsmith/thrillingdetective/

An A&E Mystery.com Site of the Week, but don't let that discourage you.