Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: pulp collection

From: Juri Nummelin ( jurnum@utu.fi)
Date: 05 Jun 2000

Mario Taboada wrote:

> I think this started when the term "pulp fiction" was coined. Tarantino helped
> make this a household word (well, not quite, but he gave it visibility). I've
> even heard Willeford called a "pulp writer"! Is it possible that people are
> unaware of the literal meaning of "pulp"?

The editors of "Pure Pulp" (they should know) call books like "The Caine Mutiny" and "Peyton Place" pulp! Now, what is this? Can someone please explain? In Tarantino's vocabulary I understand the word as anything that is trashy and violent. But that's not the original pulp fiction.

Juri jurnum@utu.fi