RARA-AVIS: MOTHERLESS BROOKLYN

From: JOHN.LEECH@ecunet.org
Date: 05 Jun 2000

My notes on "Motherless Brooklyn" by Jonathan Lethem are buried somewhere but I can tell you that there is indeed a car service office on the Boerum Hill block where the author puts one. It's between the Brooklyn Inn (bar) and the subway station.

Hearing about it, the Tourette's Syndrome idea sounds like a noisome affectation, but in the reading it's not. It's a literary device: a way of working in Joycean-style images -- "snotgreen sea", to pick one of Joyce's own -- and absurdly relevant non sequiturs.

Just outside Sonoma, California June 4, 2000