Re: RARA-AVIS: Recent reads

From: William Denton ( buff@pobox.com)
Date: 04 Jun 2000

After NOTHING PERSONAL, which I mentioned a day or two ago, I picked up BACKFLASH, the latest Parker book by "Richard Stark" (Donald E. Westlake). Man, this is good stuff. I went out and bought THE OUTFIT, the third book in the series, today. When I get POINT BLANK (or PAYBACK, as it's now known), I think I'll have all of the Avon reprints (I already have THE MAN WITH THE GETAWAY FACE, which we read, and the 1997 COMEBACK). Does anyone know if Avon's going to do more of them? It's a shame no-one's bringing them all out at a decent price, instead of these overpriced trade editions that are floating in white space.

BACKFLASH is about a heist on a gambling boat in upstate New York. It's in four parts: the introduction, the set-up, the heist, and the fall-out. Parker's as cold as ever. I loved the first sentence: "When the car stopped rolling, Parker kicked out the rest of the windshield and crawled through onto the wrinkled hood, Glock first."

Bill