Re: RARA-AVIS: male & female voice

From: Bob Toomey ( btoomey@javanet.com)
Date: 29 May 2000

Moorich2@aol.com wrote:

> Have I been fooled about gender? Certainly. I was very surprised to learn
> that James Tiptree Jr. was a woman. Surprised but pleased that she had
> pulled it off for so long. Of course, Robert Silverberg who wrote an
> introduction to one of her collections proclaiming his certainty of her
> maleness had egg on his face but he accepted it gracefully. Whether he
> thought he had a special psychic ability or not I cannot say. But life does
> have a way of slapping the absolutism out of people.

Silverberg's introduction to WARM WORLDS AND OTHERWISE worth quoting as an object lesson before we put this whole topic away:

"It has been suggested that Tiptree is female, a theory that I find absurd, for these is something ineluctably masculine about Tiptree's writing. I don't think the novels of Jane Austen could have been written by a man nor the stories of Ernest Hemmingway by a woman, and in the same way I believe the author of the James Tiptree stories is male."

BobT