RARA-AVIS: Some Unknown Person

From: Moorich2@aol.com
Date: 29 May 2000

In answer to Nathalie, my favorite Sandra Scoppettone novel is SOME UNKNOWN PERSON published before she became categorized as a mystery novelist. The novel is based on the same incident, or "true crime," on which John O'Hara based BUTTERFIELD 8.

I also admired the first Jack Early novel as well as DONATO AND DAUGHTER although I have to say I have enjoyed everything I have read by her. Admittedly I have not read the last few of her latest series. But those three I would put above the rest in achievement. The followup to SKP, again before she became labeled a genre novelist, had a lot to offer but was not at the same level as SKP. It may have been hurt in the editing process. Sorry but the title escapes me but it had "Families" in the title, I believe. That's one I would like to reread as well as SOME UNKNOWN PERSON.

I personally would swap her series work for another stand-alone that she had sufficient time to polish.

Richard (not Mark) Moore