Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Women Rewriting

From: Bob Toomey ( btoomey@javanet.com)
Date: 29 May 2000

Mario Taboada wrote:

> <<"Mother died yesterday. Or was it the day before?" Something like that.
> Great beginning for a noir novel.>>
>
> I think it *is* a noir novel... I wonder if Goodis, Thompson and Willeford were
> familiar with Camus. If not, they were mining some of the same sad ore*.

Stuart Gilbert's translation of THE STRANGER opens: "Mother died today. Or, maybe, yesterday; I can't be sure. The telegram from the Home says: YOUR MOTHER PASSED AWAY. FUNERAL TOMORROW. DEEP SYMPATHY. Which leaves the matter doubtful; it could have been yesterday."

Camus publicly acknowledged James M. Cain as a major influence on the novel. Noir goes round and round.

BobT