RARA-AVIS: Gender

From: Bill Crider ( abc@wt.net)
Date: 28 May 2000

I've enjoyed all the discussions of gender-related items, and once again I've realized that I'm among the least analytical of readers on this list. When I read a book, either I like it or I don't. That's about all I think about it before I move on to another book. I never really stop to consider whether it was written by a man or a woman, or at least I never used to before people started making an issue of it.

My only skirmish in the gender wars came at a signing I was doing at Murder by the Book in Houston a good while ago. While I was sitting at the table, a woman went to the counter with quite a stack of books (not including mine, of course). She looked over at me, sneered, turned back to the clerk and said, in a rather loud voice, "I never buy books by men. I read only women writers, and I know I'll never run out of books to buy because more and more by women are being published all the time." It was almost as if she thought I should be ashamed of myself for having written a book in the first place. I've thought of many snappy comebacks over the years, but naturally I didn't think of any of them until it was far too late. Anyway, I hope she's buying and reading Ruth Birmingham's books, or the ones that A. W. Gray is writing under a pen name that slips my mind right now. Gray told me a couple of years ago that the ones under the female name sell around twice as many copies as the books he wrote as himself, and in fact I haven't seen any under his own byline in a good while. I'm sure there's a lesson there for all of us.

Bill Crider