Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Women Rewriting

From: Jess Nevins ( jjnevins@ix.netcom.com)
Date: 28 May 2000

Bob Toomey wrote:

> Words from the Monastery wrote:
>
> > One would say there is an African-American perspective and to deny it would
> > get you labeled as a racist in some liberal circles.
>
> What about black writers like Willard Motley and Frank Yerby, or
> cartoonist George Herriman (creator of Krazy Kat), or SF writers Steven
> Barnes, Samuel R. Delany and James Nelson? With the possible exception
> of Delany, the academics don't even count these guys as black writers,
> because their perspective isn't "African-American."

We must know and read different academics, then.

I'd say that the academics don't pay much attention to Herriman and Barnes and Nelson because they're genre creators. When they do pay attention to them, they acknowledge their ethnicity. At least, the academics I've known and read and seen at various conferences do.

But, again, the problem with this argument is that all these writers share very little except ethnicity. To say that they still have an "African-American perspective" in their work is to warp the evidence to fit the theory.

jess