RE: RARA-AVIS: Re: Women Rewriting

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 27 May 2000

Anthony wrote:

"Ernest Hemmingway, William Faulkner, Henry Miller, Lawrence Block, Ross MacDonald, Dashiell Hammett, Herman Melville, Charles Dickens, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Elmore Leonard, James Ellroy, James Crumley, Jose Latour, etc., write like males"

Just out of curiosity, how do Joseph Hansen, Dennis Cooper, Jean Genet and William Burroughs fit into this? I'm not saying they don't fit -- for instance, both Cooper and Burroughs seem very macho to me -- I'm just wondering if homosexuality makes a difference? I guess what I'm asking is if this theory supports multiple attributes in a writer or if s/he is defined by just one, in this argument's case gender?

Mark