Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Women Rewriting

From: Greg Swan ( greg@swans.org)
Date: 27 May 2000

> I see HB as a male hero's perspective of crime in an unapologetic
realistic
> view within the context of the timeframe in which the setting is located

Nothing like a good argument, and I've sort of forgotten exactly how it started. I think there was an article written from a feminist point-of-view that claimed Paretsky, Grafton and a few others had managed to subvert the hardboiled sub-genre?

If so, we'd kind of expect these stories to feature the trappings of hardboiled, but at their core be something very different. If we like HB
(and we do!), we ought to be put off by this feminist appropriation of our patriarchal literature. These writers are sheep in wolves' clothing.

I've listened to half a Paretsky on audio tape while driving. So, I can't say how effective they might be at prosecuting a feminist agenda. The one I listened to had a great deal of information about cargo ships.

- Greg Swan