Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Women Rewriting

From: Jess Nevins ( jjnevins@ix.netcom.com)
Date: 26 May 2000

Words from the Monastery wrote:

> It's not very hard and you don't even have to read "Women are from Venus and
> Men are from Mars" first either ... it's a shame that in a grasp for
> equality so many are terrified of celebrating their uniqueness as
> individuals the uniqueness of their sex. But hey, I was raised by a woman
> with an open mind who told me to think for myself and to hell with
> convention.

Okay. If there's such a thing as a "female voice" or a
"female perspective," I'd like to know what it is. Please explain it to me.

While you're at it, please tell me why female writers who don't share the qualities you assign to a "female voice" are not, therefore, female.

Oh, and tell me why male writers who write in a "female voice" aren't male.

Oh, and also explain to me how the idea of a "female voice" and a "female perspective," which reduce the writer to her sex, somehow celebrate the uniqueness of individuals, rather than celebrate the putative qualities of the felame sex as a whole.

jess