RARA-AVIS: Re: Women Rewriting

From: Victoria Esposito-Shea ( victoria@esposito-shea.com)
Date: 26 May 2000

> The biggest problem I've seen is when
>women don't strive to be their own voice and instead try to feminize the
genre (as if that were the
>only possible option) ... all feminizing the genre ends up doing in my
experience is give us a chick
>Dick with a dick (... men in dresses). I'd rather see a female genre be
established/evolve/grow/or
>whatever that takes the setting and plot devices (or whatever that amounts
to the basic non-gender
>aspects of the genre) and then speak to it with a female voice and a
female perspective ... I think in
>the end the overall canon would benefit far more for the extra effort.

Anthony,

If you've managed to identify "a female voice" and "a female perspective" in this or any genre, you've obviously got far more insight than I do.

Vicky

Victoria Esposito-Shea, J.D. Legal Research and Writing

New and improved site at http://www.esposito-shea.com