RARA-AVIS: Bolitar series/Cole series

From: GN ( piesbook@execpc.com)
Date: 26 May 2000

I think everyone who has sampled Coben's early works should continue to read the series. The last two books (THE FINAL DETAIL (1999) and THE DARKEST FEAR (2000)) are especially dark and less comic than the rest of the series. Coben is taking himself and his character Myron much more seriously than he did when he started the series. Although the crimes may have been serious in the early books, there was a lighthearted and casual attitude towards there solutions. In these last two books, the sports angle has dropped away, and the cases are gritty and personal. I would urge everyone to try these two and see if their opinions of Coben are not changed.

I have the same feelings about Robert Crais. MONKEY'S RAINCOAT and L. A. REQUIEM are two completely different books, yet the bookends of the Elvis Cole series as it stands now. I think L. A. REQUIEM is the equal of anything Michael Connelly has written.

Best, GWN Gary Warren Niebuhr P. I. E. S. (Private Investigator Entertainment Service) P. O. Box 341218 Milwaukee, WI 53234 piesbook@execpc.com http://www.execpc.com/~piesbook/piescatalog.html