Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: RARA-AVIS Octavus Roy Cohen

From: James Rogers ( jetan@ionet.net)
Date: 25 May 2000

At 10:13 PM 5/25/00 -0400,Doug Greene wrote:

>Cohen was once a major writer for THE SATURDAY EVENING POST. His JIM HANVEY
>DETECTIVE (1923) and SCRAMBLED YEGGS (1934) are pretty good examples of an
>attempt to find an American style of mystery. But he was most popualr for a
>series of supposedly amusing stories about FLORIAN SLAPPEY a "colroed
gentleman"
>whom we are supposed to find amusing.

   My take is to find him "non-boiled" but I gather some of his stuff is fairly tough. I agree that he was given some good lurid paberback covers. As he was a slick writer, I probably haven't given his stories the attention they deserve, though I do have a couple.

                           James

James Michael Rogers jetan@ionet.net