Re: RARA-AVIS: Bolitar series/Maltese Falcon similiarities?

From: Mark Blumenthal ( blumenidiot@21stcentury.net)
Date: 25 May 2000

- From: Brian Lalor:
 As I was reading "Falcon", I started to draw some similarities between the
> characters there and those in the Myron Bolitar series (the author's name
> escapes me at the moment). In particular, Bolitar as Spade and Esperanza
> (his secretary) as Effie. I think that's just the tip of the iceberg, but
> I was wondering if anyone else caught that parallel.

I don't think Harlan Coben, the author, could ever claim to be highly original. You forgot his debts to Robert Parker and Crais for Myron's sidekick, Win, and the whole tone of the books. It's strange you read him before Hammett. Mark