Re: RARA-AVIS: Bolitar series/Maltese Falcon similiarities?

From: WordRunner@aol.com
Date: 25 May 2000

    I don't think "original ideas" were ever part of the plan with the Bolitar series. Every writer begins with big debts to those who have come before, but Coben is pretty shameless. The main characters are out of Hammett and others through Parker and Crais. The plots are yawningly transparent and familiar. Using sports as a venue for detecting was the least aged chestnut in the basket, but even that is far from original. For my money, it's writing by the numbers.

                                        Jim Blue