RARA-AVIS: RE: More Gruber

From: Dick Lochte ( dlock@ix.netcom.com)
Date: 24 May 2000

In addition to the Frank Gruber bibliography from "The Pulp Jungle," I think he must have written a non-fiction work about Custer's Last Stand. When I was still a teenage Gruber fan, I read in the paper that he was going to appear on "The Joe Pyne Show" on a local UHF channel, plugging his new book on Custer. Wiggling the antenna on the old Philco, I brought in the show. Gruber came out, looking like a deer caught in headlights. Pyne, whose big thing was controversy, led him into a discussion of the Battle of the Little Big Horn, harping on the fact that Custer and his men were defeated only because they'd been so vastly outnumbered. Gruber let himself get gulled into calling the Indians stupid and worthless as fighters and a lot of other uncomplimentary things. Then Pyne announced that he had other guests - two very militant looking young men who were descendents of Chief Sitting Bull.

Dick Lochte